Saturday, May 24, 2014

Fans or Fanatics?

When I watch college football I enjoy seeing the excitement of the game. What I dont like seeing are the douchebags that take away from the excitement of the game. You know who I am talking about. Its the guy that is drinking all game, yelling about how the coach stinks or how the players are not giving their all.

I absolutely hate this type of guy or fanatic!  I know that fan is short for fanatic, but to me there is a difference between the two words and types of people. To me a fan can see the big picture with their team, accept the good, accept the bad, and be respectful in their cheering for their team. Fans try to understand the game, understand the games nuances, and back their team in a vibrant way. Student sections at many college football games do not understand this. I have been called about every name in the book as I was getting to my seat and I will not even mention the names my kids or wife have been called. The Sun Devil student section is the worst to me. Just brutal language comes out of there as well tortillas. Every call made against ASU gets horrific language and the typical "the refs hate us" comments. Now I know this happens everywhere, but I have sat in most of the Pac-12 stadiums and ASU has fanatics, not fans.

A stadium that has fans is UCLA. I have sat and watched games at the Rose Bowl and every time its been a great experience.  The fans are respectful, cheer and boo without going over the edge. I have had conversations about the game with fans in Pasadena and they are very knowledgeable about the game of college football. They well read in reality with their team. Even when that means there team is good or bad or somewhere in between.

If more fanatics were fans instead of over the edge, drunk, and out of touch with how good or bad their team really is then the experience at college football games would be better for fans and their families. I hope fans take their game back and drive the fanatics out of the game. Just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment