Friday, June 13, 2014

Running a Division One program

One of my favorite things I hear on the radio, tv, or in football stadiums is the fan saying "I could coach better than him, I could recruit better, this is what needs to be done with the program..." etc. Really?


So, "Joe fan" would be willing to give up so many parts of his life to run a division one program in college football. I HIGHLY doubt that. Most fans are not that dedicated to the program they root for unless their team is having a winning season. In all honesty, I catch myself doing the "what the heck is the coach thinking?" thought from time to time, but I get myself out of those thoughts quickly because I am a coach young football men. Albeit, on the high school level and not the college level, but I hear those screams from the stands as well and wonder why can't the fans just root for the team and not yell all sorts of things at the coaches or players.


College coaches have so much responsibilities to the university it is insane. They have to manage around 100 student/athletes, a full coaching staff, kiss alumni's ass on Saturdays, deal with administration, recruit, recruit, recruit, deal with sub standard referees, and oh, you, know... win a college football game! His days are approximately 16-18 hours long during the season and maybe, just maybe, just a little shorter in the off-season.


My thought about "Joe fan" taking over a program is that he could not do it. Not even finish the first day or first week of being the man in charge.  Talking with some college coaches in the past, most coaches get chased out of the profession by alumni or these unreal expectations that fans put on them. They say most fans have an unrealistic view of their program. I agree. Unless, you are Alabama, Florida State, or possibly Auburn fans think their school are going to win the National Championship. I root for Oregon State and by no means do I EVER think they are going to be in the running for a title in football. They can't get the talent up there to Corvallis to win and hopefully Beaver fans don't think we are winning the title anytime soon.


In the end, every fan wants the best for their team, but fans have to stay away from the unreal expectations that they may have for their university. Alumni can throw all sorts of money at the university, but if you don't have the talent, you won't win. Period. End of story. Fans, just enjoy the game and cheer on team and don't think you could EVER step in and take over the program. Just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment