Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Irish Game Experience

For the first time today I had the experience that many people have had over the years. That experience? Attending a Notre Dame football game. Granted, attending the game at Notre Dame stadium would have added a whole other level to this afternoon, but still having been in the same stadium as the Golden Dome helmet and having field access gave the experience added juice.


Notre Dame was in town taking on their host, the Arizona State Sun Devils in a match up of top 10 programs. Getting to the stadium early was great. Once through the security check, I simply walk to the field and I'm snapping pictures quickly, watching network people set their cameras up, and getting a feel for the atmosphere.


The Notre Dame entourage is something to behold. The equipment that they bring is second to none. Even appeared to bring their own cooling system to Tempe today. The first thing that I come into contact with was the "Golden Dome" helmets. Now, in all honesty, I'm not an Irish fan. I respect the what they have done in their storied history, just not fan for other reasons. However, seeing the helmet in person was different altogether. Knowing the history of this piece of equipment gave me a whole level of respect for the program. It may seen rather funny to you, but I saw what all of their fans feel when the Irish take the field. Admittedly, it was weird for me to sense that.


The next thing that made the pre game experience great was actually meeting that damn Leprechaun mascot that they got going all around the stadium at different times. I did think to myself that this is a young man who is probably helping his way through school by dressing up as a leprechaun for thousands of fans every weekend. More power to him I say. He was incredibly nice and took a few pictures with me and as well as hundreds of other fans before the game started.


As kickoff got closer, the team as a whole came out onto the field to start stretching. As the team came out together to get warmed up the Irish fans start chanting "Lets go Irish". That was a moment that hadn't happened all year in Sun Devil Stadium with the opposing teams fans. It certainly showed me that these were a different type of college football fan. They support their team regardless of circumstances, no fair weather fans with Notre Dame, and they know the game of football. Irish fans know a good play call when they see it and certainly know when the coach makes a bad decision. They let the coach know when they are happy with the team and when they are not pleased with the program.


In the end, the Sun Devils win the game and dash the playoff hopes of Notre Dame. However, I walked away with a greater sense of respect for a football team that I usually do not root for. I understand why Irish fans are arguably the most passionate in college football.

No comments:

Post a Comment